Tuesday, April 2, 2013

"Mother may I..."

     In modern English, most people phrase the request for permission to to have or do something by saying "Can I have...?" or "Can I do...?". While this is the generally accepted method, there are those who would say that it is incorrect. For them, the only way to correctly ask if you have permission for a certain action is to say, "May I...?". Which of these is correct?

     For many, from a strict grammatical point of view the correct way to ask if you have permission is to say "May I...". Technically, when you ask using the "Can" form, you are not asking for someone else's permission, but wither or not you have the ability to have a certain item or perform a particular action. For example, when you ask, "Can I go to the bathroom", what you are actually asking is if you have the ability to go to the bathroom, not if you have permission to go.

     However, as the language has evolved, it is becoming more and more accepted to use "Can I...?" in place or "May I...?". According to the Oxford Dictionaries website, you are fine in using "Can I...?" in normal everyday speech. However, if you wish to appear more formal or polite, the older "May I...?" should be used.




1. http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/can-or-may
2. http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/can-versus-may2.aspx

   

5 comments:

Jared Freeman said...

You raised very important topic and I really got many helpful material from thos but I need to visit the website again and again for further details.I really liked this topic.

Joel said...

There is a lot that I want to admire about your efforts relevant to this post.Whenever I visited this website it always guided me in so appropriate manner.I liked this very much.Thanks.

sophie said...

This is for all mothers and I am sure you would must have got many ideas for mother day from this post.You guys also go to the website for interesting ideas and hints.

haris said...

"May I" used for request or permission and we should learn ho to use it in sentence. If You need more info then click to read and get interesting ideas.

haris said...

I am always confused using these two factors for permission. I find english language so tough here just because i need to clear the concept which option is good. Well http://www.mbapersonalstatement.org/sample-mba-essays/ is also helping me in writing essays and other format of writing.

Post a Comment

 
;